The Ontario Institute for Catholic Education brings together, works with, and assists organizations that share responsibility for English Catholic education in their efforts to promote and maintain publicly-funded Catholic schools animated by the Gospel and reflecting the tenets of the Catholic faith.
- To foster a common vision on issues and policies that promotes and protects Catholic education.
- To enhance collaboration among the partners in the English Catholic educational community.
- To maintain effective liaison with our francophone partners in Catholic education as together we strive to maintain, foster and develop the special characteristics of Catholic education.
- To keep alive the historical contribution to Catholic education of religious communities of both men and women.
- To participate, when requested and with the agreement of all the partners, in discussions with the other churches or religious groups in Ontario regarding their views and positions on religious education.
- To arrange periodic gatherings of representatives from every sector of the Catholic education community for the purpose of exploring together contemporary issues in Catholic education.
- To coordinate the work of Catholic associations and organizations in writing Catholic curriculum within the parameters established by the Ministry of Education.
- To develop material in Religious Education and related areas under the guidance and in the name of the Assembly of Catholic Bishops of Ontario (Ontario Conference of Catholic Bishops).
- To develop foundational documents in Catholic educational practice.
- To outline programs for pre-service and in-service education of Catholic teachers and promote them with the Ontario faculties of education, College of Teachers and Ministry of Education.
- To work with all organizations which provide professional development opportunities for persons in leadership positions or aspiring to leadership positions in the Ontario Catholic education system.
- To share with all members the results of research carried out by member associations to which access is available.
- To consider research proposals related to Catholic education at the ICE table and vote on them with regard to implementation and funding.